Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Hodgepodge Travels


It's that time again: Joyce's Wednesday Hodgepodge! Come check out the plethora of responses and add your own!

1. Picture postcards were first printed back in the mid-1800's and deltiology is the official name for postcard collecting. When did you last send a postcard?  Receive one? Do you save postcards sent to you? Do you collect and/or send postcards when you travel?

I can't remember the last time I sent a postcard. I guess when Adam was deployed, because I wanted him to have a bit of mail and a reminder of home. So that would be sometime in 2009. I last received one a couple months ago from my brother in Afghanistan.

I absolutely save postcards! I love to collect them, mainly because between my husband and my brother being in the military I can receive them from around the world. Since I'm not a traveler myself, this is my little piece of exotic places. :)

2. What treat do you most like to indulge in while on vacation?

S'mores! We always camp while on vacation with the rare exception being a trip to DC that we were given after the deployment. That was a very inexpensive trip by necessity, with mainly Starbucks and Subway for food, so I won't count that.

3. Are you good at hiding your feelings?

Not at all. My face shows everything I'm thinking, and I'm usually thinking about things that have nothing to do with what's going on at the time, which can be quite a problem in meetings!

4. Does your town/city/county still deliver telephone books to your home? Do you check the yellow pages when searching for a local business number or has the internet replaced the phone book in your home?

Amazingly enough, our phone company still does...and since we have competing cell phone companies, for several years we received a copy of the "yellow pages" from each. I haven't seen the underdog's submission for a while, though, so maybe they decided it wasn't worth the cost.

I never use the yellow pages or even the white pages...it's so much quicker and usually more reliable to check online.

5. Would you rather be first or last?

Neither, I much prefer being second or third. I like seeing someone else go first, so I know what to expect and can plan or adjust for it...but I also don't want to be the one everyone else is watching "wrap things up." That's just awkward.

6. July is National Park and Recreation Month (in America, but everyone can still play along)...where and when were you last in a park?  Did you participate in any recreational activities while you were there?

Does the Blue Ridge Parkway count? (I double checked. Answer: yes, it does! ) We were last up there on the Fourth, and it was beautiful:


We live very close to national forest, national, and state parks, so we tend to find hiking paths, scenic views, and camping. That's how we vacation, remember! :)

7.  What was one of your worst ideas?

I'd have to say buying this house. We were full of dreams and wanting our own place, but it would have been better to spend more time renting and saving up so that we could afford more than a money pit--especially when the market dropped within a couple of years of signing!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I've been trying to keep up with Fat Mum Slim's July Photo A Day challenge, and I have to say, doing the same thing day in and day out is just not easy! This is why I'm terrible with remembering to take medicine on a schedule...

22 comments:

  1. The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of my favorite places in the world...especially in the fall and spring. I too show my feelings in my face...can't hide it. Loved your answers and that wonderful Blue Ridge picture. Makes me want to pack a suitcase and drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the Parkway in the fall is just lovely! I always feel so blessed to live here. :)

      Delete
  2. The Blue Ridge Parkway definitely counts-that's a gorgeous part of the country and your picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you on your answer for #5! Thanks for your comment on my blog :) I wanted to respond but it came up as "no-reply". Settlers is a board game that some people compare to risk or monopoly - you buy, trade, and build and we LOVE it :) I've never been to Blue Ridge Parkway, but it is totally going on my list of places that I want to visit! Have a great rest of your week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for explaining that! I might make that the kids' shared Santa gift this year, sounds fun! :D

      Delete
  4. The Blue Ridge Parkway looks so beautiful! I bet it was a great place to spend the 4th. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, in spite of getting rained on this year. If you don't mind a more muted celebration, it's wonderful to look out over the Valley and see so many fireworks going off! :) Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Oh man... you have no idea how I've been craving smores lately... you just made me want them even more!

    Drats on the house. :( things always make a comeback. Hopefully you'll make your money back eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really hope so, since we're starting to look into selling and finding a new place to call home. :) In spite of all the work (or maybe because of it), I'll be a bit sad to say goodbye to the old place.

      Delete
  6. Your answer to question five is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never hurts to pinpoint exactly how you want something to go, right? ;)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your visit.
    We have a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway planned for October.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October is the perfect time to visit the BRP, I hope you have a wonderful trip! :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, yes, the Blueridge Parkway is absolutely gorgeous! Virginia is my home state and my Hubby cannot believe that I allowed him to drag me to Louisiana 42 years ago. Duh!

    Smores, makes me want one right now.

    Thanks for stopping by. It was so nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a difference between Virginia and Louisiana! But I'm sure you enjoy the scenery down there as well. :) Thanks for commenting, it was nice meet you, too! :)

      Delete
  9. That photo is beautiful! We like to have s'mores too but we have them in the backyard around our fire pit. The last couple nights I've given them as a dessert too and just softened the marshmellows in the microwave. The kids loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, the kids are always begging us to do s'mores in the backyard! My daughter is a Girl Scout, so she learned to microwave a marshmallow between two Thanks-a-lots...the GS s'more! :)

      Delete
  10. I love the Blue Ridge Parkway, although it's been probably about 8-10 years since I've been on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went for several years without driving up there when the kids were babies, but with it being literally a couple miles up the mountain from us, it's hard not to want to go every now and again. We love discovering the hiking trails around the overlooks and picnic areas, too! I'm amazed at how much I can still learn, even with growing up driving the parkway.

      Delete
  11. Mmmmmm S'mores!!! I haven't had breakfast yet...now I'm wondering if that would be sufficient for breakfast?!! That photo of the Blue Ridge Parkway is like a piece of heaven...it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anni! And I think graham crackers count as fiber, so s'mores are a perfect breakfast. ;)

      (I never claimed to be a dietitian, haha!)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by...I love to hear thoughts on what I've posted, please share yours!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails