Wednesday, July 17, 2013
It's that time again: Joyce's Wednesday Hodgepodge! Come check out the plethora of responses and add your own!
1. Picture postcards were first printed back in the mid-1800's and deltiology is the official name for postcard collecting. When did you last send a postcard? Receive one? Do you save postcards sent to you? Do you collect and/or send postcards when you travel?
I can't remember the last time I sent a postcard. I guess when Adam was deployed, because I wanted him to have a bit of mail and a reminder of home. So that would be sometime in 2009. I last received one a couple months ago from my brother in Afghanistan.
I absolutely save postcards! I love to collect them, mainly because between my husband and my brother being in the military I can receive them from around the world. Since I'm not a traveler myself, this is my little piece of exotic places. :)
2. What treat do you most like to indulge in while on vacation?
S'mores! We always camp while on vacation with the rare exception being a trip to DC that we were given after the deployment. That was a very inexpensive trip by necessity, with mainly Starbucks and Subway for food, so I won't count that.
3. Are you good at hiding your feelings?
Not at all. My face shows everything I'm thinking, and I'm usually thinking about things that have nothing to do with what's going on at the time, which can be quite a problem in meetings!
4. Does your town/city/county still deliver telephone books to your home? Do you check the yellow pages when searching for a local business number or has the internet replaced the phone book in your home?
Amazingly enough, our phone company still does...and since we have competing cell phone companies, for several years we received a copy of the "yellow pages" from each. I haven't seen the underdog's submission for a while, though, so maybe they decided it wasn't worth the cost.
I never use the yellow pages or even the white pages...it's so much quicker and usually more reliable to check online.
5. Would you rather be first or last?
Neither, I much prefer being second or third. I like seeing someone else go first, so I know what to expect and can plan or adjust for it...but I also don't want to be the one everyone else is watching "wrap things up." That's just awkward.
6. July is National Park and Recreation Month (in America, but everyone can still play along)...where and when were you last in a park? Did you participate in any recreational activities while you were there?
Does the Blue Ridge Parkway count? (I double checked. Answer: yes, it does! ) We were last up there on the Fourth, and it was beautiful:
We live very close to national forest, national, and state parks, so we tend to find hiking paths, scenic views, and camping. That's how we vacation, remember! :)
7. What was one of your worst ideas?
I'd have to say buying this house. We were full of dreams and wanting our own place, but it would have been better to spend more time renting and saving up so that we could afford more than a money pit--especially when the market dropped within a couple of years of signing!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I've been trying to keep up with Fat Mum Slim's July Photo A Day challenge, and I have to say, doing the same thing day in and day out is just not easy! This is why I'm terrible with remembering to take medicine on a schedule...